This salad makes a very chi chi summer BBQ starter or even main course salad dish. Prawns are so easy to cook on the BBQ, taking only three minutes a side. Sumac is a Middle Eastern spice available in Asian markets and gives a wonderful lemony flavour to the prawns. I only buy my seafood from my fishmonger, as the quality and value is superb. Alternatively, you can find fantastic prawns in the freezer section in most Asian markets.
12 raw tiger prawns, shelled and deveined
1tbls olive oil
1kg watermelon, peeled and cubed
½ small onion, very finely sliced
10 pitted black olives, halved
150g feta cheese, crumbled
150g baby spinach leaves
1tbls olive oil
1tbls lemon juice
2tbls chopped fresh mint
- Mix the olive oil and sumac together and toss through the prawns. Cover and marinade for 20 minutes.
- Griddle the prawns on a griddle pan or BBQ and cook for 3 minutes each side until pink, firm and curled up.
- Finely slice the red onion and mix with the tablespoon of olive oil and lemon juice. Leave this to ‘pickle’ for 5 minutes.
- Toss together the baby spinach, watermelon, feta, olives and the marinated red onion.
- Divide the salad amongst four plates and place the prawns on top, drizzle over extra lemon, olive oil and fresh mint.
- Alternatively, serve the salad and prawns on skewers or in individual baby cos lettuce leaves.
I have a one day weekend BBQ Class running this summer if you fancy becoming a BBQ King or Queen!!
If you would like to book my class on the 30th June click here
Enjoy the summer ! Delish