Traditionally made with lamb or beef mince, and layered with slices of aubergine and potato, moussaka has always been one of my favourites. Here I have used lentils for a vegetarian version and a special cheesey sauce instead of a bechamél. The texture and flavour of the lentils work brilliantly in this recipe, students often prefer this version! Perfect family food for a Meat Free Monday.
4 medium potatoes, peeled
2 large aubergines, thinly sliced lengthways
1 onion, finely diced
1 clove garlic, crushed
250g brown lentils
500ml vegetable stock
150ml red wine
4 T tomato paste
1 t ground cinnamon
2 T fresh parsley, chopped
4 T ricotta cheese
4 T Glenisk Organic Greek yoghurt
4 T finely grated Parmesan cheese
- To cook the lentils, heat up a little olive oil in a pot. Gently sauté the onion until soft. Stir in the garlic and cook for 2 minutes. Add in the lentils, stock, wine, tomato paste and cinnamon. Bring to a boil then reduce to a simmer, uncovered, for 30 minutes. Stir in the parsley and season with salt and pepper.
- To prepare the potatoes, steam or boil whole for 15 to 20 minutes until just tender. Allow to cool, then thinly slice and set aside for assembly later.
- To prepare the aubergines, slice lengthways into 1.5 cm thick slices. Lightly brush with olive oil. Spread out on a baking tray and bake at 200°C for 10 to 15 minutes until golden and starting to char. Set aside.
- For the cheesy sauce, whisk together the ricotta, Glenisk Organic Greek yoghurt, eggs and Parmesan cheese.
- Begin assembling by spreading half the lentil mix in the bottom of a lasagne style baking dish. Arrange a layer of potato slices on top, then aubergine slices. Spoon over the rest of the lentil mixture. Layer the remainding aubergine slices and finish off with a layer of potato.
- Spoon over the cheesy sauce, making sure not to leave any gaps. Grate over fresh nutmeg.
- Bake at 200°C for 20 minutes until golden and bubbling.
This recipe is taken from my book Delish.
If you like it you can purchase it in all good book stores (!!) or order it directly from my website
Available to purchase €19.50-includes postage to anywhere in Ireland