This recipe is a real crowd pleaser with kids and adults alike loving to devour them. Picnic Pizza Muffins are the perfect picnic bag and lunch box filler, although they may be gobbled up before lunchtime!
I love serving these at brunch with scrambled eggs and relish and a handful of rocket. The recipe makes large muffins so you may want to make sixteen more reasonable size ones or mini muffins. I use ‘handkerchief’ muffin cases to bake these in.
Makes 12 large muffins
300g self-raising flour
80ml light olive oil
150g low fat natural yoghurt
150ml low fat milk
1 and a half cups strong grated cheddar cheese
1tsp dried oregano or mixed Italian herbs
8 rindless bacon rashers, diced
6 spring onions, finely chopped
150g chopped sundried or sunblush tomatoes
- Preheat the oven to 200°C. Line a 12 hole muffin tin with paper cases for big muffins or two trays for mini muffins.
- Cook the bacon until crispy in a non stick frying pan, drain well on kitchen paper.
- Mix the olive oil, yoghurt, milk, oregano and egg together.
- Sieve in the flour and barely mix.
- Stir in 1 cup of the cheese, spring onions, tomatoes and bacon. Don’t over mix, leave the mixture quite lumpy. Sprinkle the remaining cheese on top of each muffin.
- Spoon into the paper cases and bake for about 20 minutes until baked through and firm.
- Allow to stand for 5 minutes before serving warm with butter or cold in lunch boxes.
- Cool completely and freeze in plastic bags for up to 2 months.
After all of that just …. Enjoy, they are Delish!
Check out recipes taken from my cookery book Delish, which is available from book stores or directly from this website